Site Meter

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mylesday, The Palace Bar, 1 April, 2-6pm





















Brian Ó Nualláin/Brian O’Nolan/Flann O’Brien/Myles nagCopaleen/whatever his name was is a hundred this year. Having, like the inhabitants of Corcha Dorcha, long since taken the bád bán to pursue my career as a pratie-hoker in Siberia, I would normally look on as a lachrymose and sea-divided Gael when festivities like this occur. But no, I shall be there. The Palace Bar, 1 April 2-6. Dress code ‘Emergency chic’, I read.

Rummaging round the Mylesday site we find this:

Senator David Norris, Ireland’s top Joycean supremo, launched a bizarre and unprecedented broadside against the MylesDay celebrations.
Invited to attend the celebrations, he tersely replied:

“Thank you very much for your kind invitation to speak at your Myles Day on the 1st of April next. It sounds like a great idea and may I congratulate you on it. However while I would be interested in participating I have checked my diary and see that I am already engaged to take part in a series of events that day so will not unfortunately be able to attend.”

Continuing his amazing bad-tempered rant, the tight-lipped Bloom-boffin added:

“May I wish you the very best of luck with what I know will be a great success.”

{Ends}

The Brother for President! Pints of plain all round!

No comments: