Site Meter

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hard Times





















Revisiting Ireland the other week, I was disappointed to see it still languishing in the economic doldrums so familiar to me before I became an immiserated migrant here in East Yorkshire. No change there, then. Perhaps a more imaginative approach to credit for property developers by the major lending institutions and a liberalization of the law on capital gains tax might get things moving, ushering in, who knows, a decade’s worth of economic expansion and prosperity all round? Or so I assume.

3 comments:

JRed said...

Did you spend all your time in Doheny and Nesbitt's?

Totalfeckineejit said...

Wouldn't bank on it ;)

puthwuth said...

Not Doheny and Nesbitt's, though I did spend a lot of time wondering where the change from my fiver had gone when I bought a drink in Neary's up the road.

On a more serious note, J, very sad news about Michael Murphy, whose work I have been rereading.