Site Meter

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Curse You, Number Seven














Upper beak still quivering, we join the world in mourning Alex the parrot, up-to-six-counting African grey parrot whose death has been unofficially linked with forces close to the number seven.

His last words to his handler were ‘I love you, too. You’ll be in tomorrow.’

His death at the early age (for a parrot) of 31 means his remarkable intelligence, equivalent to that of a five-year old human, will never achieve its fitting reward of a junior lectureship at the university where I work or an Arts Council literature bursary.

Join me in a commemorative peanut. Make sure to throw the shell at someone too, when you're finished.

Plenty of parrots in Beckett of course. I must do a fact about them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seven, that bastard. First it eats nine, and now it's implicated in this tragedy. I hope they lock it up and throw away the key.