Site Meter

Friday, April 06, 2007

Etranger Qui Passe Tu Ne Sais Pas Avec Quel Manque De Désir Je Te Regarde
















The gift of indifference, most precious gift and yet so easy to give. You give it to every stranger you pass in the street: they need care nothing for you. If you're mown down by a bus they may call an ambulance, but short of that you have granted them the inestimable privilege of caring nothing whether you live or die. What a liberation! What gratitude they should owe you if that didn't break the terms of your mutual indifference pact!

As Szymborska writes, in 'Thank-You Note':

I owe so much
to those I don't love.

The relief as I agree
that someone else needs them more.

The happiness that I'm not
the wolf to their sheep.

The peace I feel with them
the freedom -
love can neither give
nor take that.

No comments: